Monday, September 19, 2011

I'm 31 this week! Serious thoughts on life.....

So, this time last year my life was perfectly normal.  I had just had a baby and gotten married to the man of my dreams.  Aaron started school and then it was my 30th birthday.  Fast forward 8 days when I went to hospital for an ultrasound to get a lump on my breast checked and they had to do a biopsy and mammogram as well because there was something there that shouldn't be.  They told me to come back up for results 2 days later and to bring someone with me.  Friday 1st October myself and G sat in a room and heard the news that would change our lives forever!  Since then I've had a mastectomy, reconstruction and had chemo.  I've been bald, worn a wig and posted photos of myself wearing absolutely no makeup.  I've realised that you only get one life, you might as well enjoy it.  I have 2 gorgeous little boys and the most wonderful husband that I could possibly ask for!
Its now 2 days before I turn 31.  I can't believe how much has happened and how quickly the past year has gone by.  This might sound like a lot of gobbeldygook to you but I have so much in my head that I want to get out and its all trying to come out at the same time!  I'm just thankful to be alive and that I got that lump checked out, otherwise I might not be here today.  Sometimes I hate my reconstructed boob as its fairly heavy and square compared to my other one but I have to think of the alternative, its only a boob and I'm alive!!  Sometimes I completely forget that I had cancer then it all comes crashing back to me in a flashback and its very strange and hard to describe how it makes me feel! I just feel like a normal person apart from being so tired all the time but I'm hoping my energy levels will get back to normal soon!!  I often forget how G must have felt when he heard the news, he's been my best friend in the world for nearly 14 years now and I can only imagine what it must have been like to be in his shoes at the time.  People always asked how I was but not many asked how G was coping.  It must have been hell for him to try and keep things together at home for the kids when I was in hospital and going through chemo.  I know it must have been awful for him to have to shave my head with foam and a razor after the little bits started falling out all over the place.  There isn't many men I know that has had to shave their wifes head completely bald!  He's really been my rock through this whole saga and I would be lost without him!!

3 comments:

  1. You've been through so much in one year Jacinta, both physically and emotionally, no wonder you're tired...
    I'm sending you lots of love and warm thoughts and wish you a great 31st birthday on Wednesday, and a long and happy life with G and your 2 gorgeous boys XX

    Catharina (@ILoveIre)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Belated Birthday! I hope you had a wonderful day :-)

    ReplyDelete