Friday, August 12, 2011

Psoriasis........... how I hate thee!

Update: 27th Sept 2011 
I have removed some of the images from my blog as there are some weirdos out there and I don't want my pics being used!


I decided to write a quick post on my psoriasis, especially after all the coverage its gotten in the last couple of weeks, mainly thanks to Kim Kardashian being diagnosed with it.  I've had psoriasis since I was 5 years of age and to be honest I wouldn't wish it on anyone!  I had an awful time during school, especially secondary school.  I didn't have many friends and a lot of people were horrible to me, calling me 'scabies'.  I spent a lot of time in hospital over the years getting covered in head to toe with creams, then bandaged up like a mummy.  Its came and went over the years but since I've finished chemo its come back with a vengeance!  I'm currently getting PUVA or light treatment in SVUH Dublin and although I've only had 5 sessions so far, I can already see a difference!   Because Aaron is 5 now, I'm always checking him to make sure he has no spots, even though they say that it skips a generation, I know I will always keep a close eye on the two boys and hope to god that neither of them get it!
Psoriasis has had a big effect on my life, I can't (won't) go out in short sleeves or skirts/shorts simply because I know people will be talking about it and staring.  Its happened before, we were in Trabolgan a couple of years ago when I overheard 2 women in the changing room talking about me which wasn't very nice! I haven't been in a swimming pool or the sea for years and as for wearing nice clothes, forget it! It itches and is sore as hell when its rubbing off your clothes.  I have it everywhere, even in my eyebrows! I was on methothrexate a few years ago and that cleared my skin completely but then myself and G decided to have another baby so I had to stop taking it as its a form of chemo and is also used to treat cancer!  I was clear for about a year and it was so great to be able to wear nice clothes! I went to christmas parties and was able to wear strapless dresses and actually feel good about myself! I'm hoping that I can get clear enough to go to Funtasia in the next few weeks and actually go swimming and have some fun with my little men, we're supposed to be going next weekend but the thought of not being able to get into the water with them and have a splashing good time has actually brought tears to my eyes more than once in the last few days alone!
I hope none of you mind these photos but I don't think people out there realise how bad my skin is and what I have to put up with! Feel free to ask any questions you have about psoriasis!  Sorry about the quality of some of the photos as its actually hard to take a photo of your own back believe it or not!




4 comments:

  1. Ouch! That looks really painful.. I've never experienced psoriasis myself, and hope yours clears up enough by the time you go to Funtasia so you can enjoy your time there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its clearing up very well so fingers crossed in a months time I'll have 'normal' skin!! It can be pretty painful sometimes all right! I went to Funtasia and had a BALL!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweetheart.
    I have psoriasis too and I wear the clothes I want, I swim, I do whatever. I am beautiful and these spots on my body change nothing about that. You are beautiful too! Let people talk!
    I understand it's difficult but you've been through too much to let this get in your way!
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comment Nicole, I guess I just don't have the confidence to go out in public with my spots showing!! Fair play to you!

    ReplyDelete